Group Riding Skills (GRS) Courses
The future of Bike MS: City to Shore Ride is in YOUR hands! With 7,000 cyclists on the road during City to Shore weekend, all with a variety of skill levels, it’s important to know how to ride safely and courteously in a massive group. The dangerous actions of a few can jeopardize the future of this ride for all. Bike MS provides the necessary tools to educate all City to Shore cyclists on proper riding etiquette but it’s up to YOU to become a Responsible Cyclist.
Bike MS has partnered with the League of American Bicyclists (LAB), a national organization dedicated to cycling, cycling advocacy and cycling education, to offer our cyclists free Group Riding Skills (GRS) Courses.
Registration for all courses closes at noon the Thursday prior to the course. You will receive a confirmation email after registering with specific information about your course date and location. Click here for more details about the course.
September course dates
Click here to view information for each course.
(1) pair of Specialized Sport Road shoes (can be exchanged for size in same model)
(1) pair of Bike Smart Lyka gloves (can be exchanged for size in same model)
(1) Keswick Cycle t-shirt
(2) Keswick Cycle water bottles
|Did you know? Ocean City was recently named a Bronze level Bike Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists.|
- You care about the future of City to Shore and want to be a Responsible Cyclist to protect the ride's future.
- It's Free! Bike MS is waiving the usual fee for this course to registered City to Shore cyclists.
- Participants will have the opportunity to meet training/riding partners and possible teammates who live in their areas
- Required bike inspections are offered at most of the courses
- You'll become a better rider by reviewing:
- The importance of courteous and safe cycling at City to Shore
- Group riding etiquette
- Laws and rules of the road
- How to use signals and warnings properly
- How to change positions and cross intersections safely
- Plus, for 2013 you will be entered to win the Keswick Cycle bike package.
“100% of cyclists who participated in a 2011 GRS course agreed that they would recommend it to a friend”
~From 2011 post-event survey results
Everyone! The GRS courses benefits novice and experienced cyclists, individuals and team members. We strongly encourage all Bike MS cyclists to pledge to be a Responsible Cyclist at City to Shore and join us for a GRS course in September. We need you to spread the word to your fellow cyclists and teammates!
“Taking a GRS class is a small investment of your time which will provide you with skills to greatly enhance your overall ride experience.”
~Don Elsas, Safety Planning Team Lead
“The Bucks County Bike MS Group Riding Skills (GRS) Course was excellent. I am very happy that I attended. All 3 instructors were great. The power point info and the outdoor riding skills were very helpful. I feel all new riders should attend and learn the ‘rules of the road’.”
“I lead beginner hybrid rides for Bucks County Bicycle Company and consider myself pretty well versed in road riding, but felt I needed the course to learn more about larger groups. Not only did I get the info I wanted, the skills portion taught me some things I'd not had practice with before. Worth taking the time for, and a great excuse to ride and put in some miles getting there and home again. I'll be passing along a lot of what I learned in my small group rides.”
About the Course
The GRS courses are designed for active participation. Courses include a classroom portion of approximately 60 minutes and an interactive cycling portion in the parking lot to practice group riding skills drills and techniques. The course DOES NOT include an actual ride. All courses are taught by League of American Bicyclists Certified Instructors (LCI).
- Agenda & times
- Course materials & what to bring
- Registration/cancellation information
- Bike inspections
For more information on group riding, please check out our Group Riding: The Basics page.
Thank you for taking the initiative for your team to become safer, more skilled and courteous cyclists. Each cyclist makes a difference to the reputation of the ride.
Have 15 or more team members? Host a personalized team GRS course!
GRS Courses are great for team building. The educational and road portions of the course are designed for first time AND avid cyclists!
- You will receive an LCI instructor to help you secure a course location and insurance if needed
- Guarantee a minimum of 15 participants
- Participants must be registered at least two weeks prior to course
- Personalized team classes will be held in July or August. September courses will not be available.
- All participants must bring their bicycle, helmet, water bottle to the course. Gloves, sunglasses, and comfortable cycling clothes are suggested.
If 10% of your team is Responsible Cyclists, your team will receive the Team Safety Awareness Award!
Contact Lauren Trager to register your team today.