Rookie Riders - City to Shore First Year Cyclists
Rookie of the Year Award:
Awarded in December to the Top Rookie Rider Fundraiser in 2013.
Congratulations to the 2012 winner Mick O’Mahony of Team Sparkle!
Congratulations to previous winners who have earned this prestigious award as a first year City to Shore cyclist.
Nikki Kahn - 2010
Rookie Riders are already looking forward to next year. So are we!
- Tom Maxwell
Please note: the cyclists pictured above are not the cyclists quoted.
Chris Scofield, 2012 rookie and captain of Team Tony’s Place shares why he is returning for his 2nd year in 'Second Time Is A Charm... I Ride....'
Rookie Rider = a cyclist participating in City to Shore for the first time.
But I’ve been cycling for years, am I a Rookie Rider? Yes!
Whether you’re a veteran cyclist or you’re new to the sport, you are new to the Bike MS: City to Shore Ride and we want to ensure your first experience is the best it can be. This page, and the Rookie Rider program, is dedicated to making this happen.
If you have any questions or needs, please do not hesitate to contact Jena Visconto for more information.
ROOKIE RIDE WEEKEND WINNERS!
Thanks to all our Rookie Riders for participating in the weekend activities. Congratulations to the following raffle winners:
Rookie Rest Stop Raffle
- A bike courtesy of Danzeisen & Quigley = Ernest Zullo
- A clothing package courtesy of Guys Bicycles = Elisabeth Serra
Register for 2014 Raffle
- $300 gift certificate courtesy of Beacon Cycling & Fitness = Deb Bailer
general tips for rookie riders
>Get a mandatory (free) bike inspection by September 25 at one of our sponsoring bike shops. (To receive free bike maintenance during ride weekend, you MUST have a Bike MS inspected sticker. Learn more)
>Get excited, talk to veteran City to Shore cyclists, ask questions and ensure you have all of the information you need to have a great ride weekend by:
- Attending a Bike MS Happy Hour
- Watching the video at the bottom of the page
- Clicking here for sponsoring bike shop training rides
- Liking, following and joining our social media pages:
>Don't wait to begin fundraising
Don't let the $300 minimum intimidate you - the average City to Shore cyclist raises more than $700 each. Raise $1,000 or more and become a member of the exclusive VIP Club. It's not hard to get there, and we're here to help you along the way.
- Tell your donors why you are riding and how their dollars make a difference
- Log into My Account to update your goal as you reach it
- Check out the Fundraising 101 page for additional fundraising tools, ideas and resources
>Start training now and ride regularly
- Set realistic goals and keep track of your mileage
- Check out Bike shop training rides
- Utilize your free subscription to TrainingPeaks
- Visit the Training page for tips on stretching, exercise, nutrition, hydration, and more
>Train in a group (learn how to ride in a crowd)
- Take a Group Riding Skills Course in September. With 7,000 cylists on the road, it's important that everyone is a Responsible Cyclist.
- Click here for sponsoring bike shop training rides
- Attend a Group Riding Skills course in September and be entered to win the Keswick Cycle bike package. Thank you to our sponsoring bike shops for their raffle donations!
- (1) pair of Specialized Sport Road shoes (can be exchanged for size in same model)
- (1) pair of Bike Smart Sprinter SL road pedals
- (1) pair of Bike Smart Lyka gloves (can be exchanged for size in same model)
- (1) Keswick Cycle t-shirt
- (2) Keswick Cycle water bottles
>Stay hydrated by drinking before you become thirsty
- Rest stops will be fully stocked - click here for route information
- Click here for more information on proper hydration and nutrition
>Make your ride meaningful
- Meet the 2013 Champions and wear your orange ribbon
- Find out why others ride and share your story
- If you are living with MS, participate in the 'I Ride With MS' program
>Wear padded shorts and gloves
- Watch the video below to know what to pack and what not to pack
The Ocean City experience starts at 10 a.m. and finishes at 6 p.m. on Saturday evening. Not only will you see an abundance of cheering spectators, there will be plenty of food, drinks and entertainment. Have your commemorative photo taken, collect your t-shirt, visit the Rookie Tent to win great prizes, and much more!